
In a nostalgic attempt to eat some American food, roommates 2, 3 and I went to Applebee's the other night.
I don't think I've ever been to Applebee's before, ever, but apparently the menu was identical to those in the states.
Except for a few minor differences. For instance, no alcohol was served because it is Ramadan, but we were welcome to consume Amstel Zero - all the delightful beery flavor and none of the hellfire!
The walls were covered with pictures of (mainly) American movie starts, including about ten million pictures of Bruce Willis, such as the one displayed here by 2 and 3. Who the woman in the large photo at left is, however, remains a mystery.
Is this what Applebee's looks like in America?
How many Applebees in the world are housed on boats along ancient/historical rivers? The food may not have sent chills down our spines (though I was certainly excited to see the word "vegetarian" on the menu), but the location made the whole experience worthwhile, sober though it may have been.
Notice the lantern on the window (that is what the red and greed dealie is)? It's a Ramadan lantern, one of many images and actual, physical lanterns decorating the city. Many are quite beautiful and ornate. Another decorative theme is an image of the Ramadan cannon, which is traditionally shot (is there another word for discharging a cannon than shot, which doesn't sound substantial enough) at sunset to announce the breaking of that day's fast.
According to my copious internet research (I had to give a presentation in Arabic class on this subject), the tradition of the cannon dates back to the rule of Muhammad Ali, for once upon a time he was playing around with his new German war toy when the durn thing went off. The populace enjoyed the jolt so much that, since then, the cannon resounds every night during Ramadan.
I haven't heard it, but apparently this is still the case.
So, do you remember my favorite sculpture from the Museum of Egyptian Modern Art? I played around with it on photoshop and I think it looks rather awesome:
No comments:
Post a Comment