Saturday, July 5, 2008

Urban Shepherd

I was walking home from Arabic tutoring this afternoon when I got stuck behind this:

These sheep would probably rather be carted on mopeds; they didn't look to pleased with walking. Especially that white sheep in the middle, whose rear appears to be suffering from something unfortunate.

I am immersed in an intensive summer Arabic program, and this takes up far too much of my time. Sure, the end purpose is important (i.e. actually speaking Arabic enough to pass the exam with a high enough score to graduate. Oh, and being able to talk to people would be nice too), but the process is rather excruciating. I have class five days a week, some days from 9 until 3.30 and others only from 9 until 1, and then I have from 3 to 5 hours of homework daily. This includes writing at least 3 essays a week. In Arabic. On my computer. That last part is the one of which I am most proud - I never imagined I'd be able to type in Arabic, but behold:
!أكتب باللغة العربية كل يوم

In addition to my four classes, I have two tutors for a total of four sessions a week. Moral of the story: I have Arabic coming out of my ears. Hopefully some of it sticks in there.

Despite my current halo of Arabic, I still had trouble communicating with the doorman this morning when my gas ran out. See, my stove runs on gas from a cannister. When I moved in my landlady assured me that the second cannister was my reserve, so I assumed that the doorman would be able to simply swap out the empty and I could make my oatmeal. Instead, I finally figured out that his words mean that both were empty. I'm fine with buying a new one, but to do so it seems that we have to wait until one of the gas-cannister-selling gentlemen happens by, which has yet to occur. These guys ride their bikes around the city with canisters strapped on and they hit the sides of the cannisters with wrench to make an awful racket and announce their wares. Usually I curse their noise, but now I can't wait to hear it since a working stove makes cooking so much easier. Hopefully tomorrow the streets will be as full of gas-cannister-sellers as they were with sheep today.

إن شاء ألله

1 comment:

HEARSAY said...

that poor older lamb with the double tumor a la derriere certainly needs a motorized transport system. And yes it is a visual validation for your continued veganism. No thanks for the kabob.