Monday, July 14, 2008

I wasn't always obsessed with sheep

I'm not sure what's happening to me. I see sheep wherever I go. Perhaps it's a sheep conspiracy. Perhaps sheep are stalking me. Their logic may be that they will be safe with me. I can't say the same for Mr. Blue Shirt.

I was wandering in the neighborhood Maadi (my future Cairo-home) when I noticed a man carrying a sheep across the street. He then deposited said ovine in the trunk of his car.

This is a new development in sheep transport. First mopeds, now car trunks - but why not the front seat, Blue Shirt? I'm sure sheep appreciate air conditioning as much as the next mammal. Especially with his big, furry coat.


Blue Shirt's actions drew a small crowd who carried out vigorous conversation with him while he fiddled with his cargo. I didn't hang around long enough to see whether he drove away with his trunk wide open, sheep-ensconced, but I've seen people riding in car trunks that way, so why not their furry friends?

I was also entertained by the below sign. Perhaps it is mean of me to mock English usage in non-native speakers, but why should I break character when companies use slogans as amusing as "We Know What We Do." I'm glad someone knows what they do - I'm not sure what exactly happens to a turkey when you it is "rosted" (or "rostd" for that matter - why add the E and not the A?).

No comments: