Saturday, July 19, 2008

Second and Fifth times the charm

I knew that the trip from California to Cairo takes more than a day. Travelers do not arrive on the same day they take off, despite the wonders of modern aviation. And yet, I somehow managed to confuse myself so entirely that, when the week of my latest visitor's arrival rolled around, I thought she was coming in on Wednesday (she in fact arrived Thursday). So I went to the airport 24 hours early.

Better than 24 hours late, I suppose.

Luckily I was informed of my mistake before I called in the national guard or some such and we have now had two days of touristic wanderings and one day of running errands to acclimate M to her borrowed surroundings.

Yesterday, pyramids for the fifth (and first, depending upon whom you ask) time. The helpful tourist police told us where to stand and how to pose so as to capture our dorkiness for posterity.

.


Today, we visited Coptic Cairo, Ibn Tulun Mosque, the Gayer Anderson and now, blissfully, we are visiting our beds for much needed naps.


No comments: