Friday, May 23, 2008

Life Changers

There is a certain tameya* stand near campus which we refer to as the Life Changer. The food from this stand are, in turn, called Life Changers.

Here is the tameya magician in charge:



The backstory: in my Arabic class last semester, a classmate gave her final presentation about her favorite parts of Cairo. She mentioned a tameya stand whose product changed her life. From her description, this place was on my (then) street! How could I walked past a life changing food opportunity daily without realizing?

This mistake I rectified at once.

The tameya from this stand is, indeed, the best I've had. The tameya themselves are small, and every sandwich includes fried eggplant (yum!), salad and lovely sauce. The best part of the experience, however is the dreamy mustaches worn by the proprietors. I love mustaches, and these guys have some of the finest around.




The stand (not really a stand - to be accurate, but storefront) is always packed hungry men. As is normal hereabouts, customers push to get their order in first, waving their money to get attention. Being foreigners (and lady foreigners at that), we are always served first which, although not fair in the least, is certainly convenient.


*Tameya (whose spelling I may be butchering) is Egyptian dialect for falafel. And it's delightful.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And don't forget that life changers are easy on your pocketbooks! One life-changing sandwich for just 15 cents!

-#2