Saturday, February 2, 2008

Menu Fun

I returned last night to the Yemeni restaurant in the Dokki district (actual restaurant name: Yemen Restaurant) for giant bread and seared fish and the menu captured my fancy. Many a menu here has entertaining interpretations of English spelling and I usually chortle but give them a pass because, were I to try and spell food names in Arabic, I'm sure I'd run into similar problems. Then again, I'd also probably ask help from native speakers, thus avoiding such fab food items as:
Haned meat (Big Pease), Leaver, Vebetable, Fath with Suop and Yemens Bread on pease.

Also in the house were The Roommate and her Sis, as well as #2 and her boyfriend. The sisters are seen here modeling the gigantic bread - that is only on pease, people! - while the couple's head hovers over what I am still assured is delightful fish.

I had bread and beans (no egg), as well as some lovely vebetable. We were not able to finish the bread, nor the fish, but we smuggled some of the latter out to feed the various feline inhabitants of our fair city, especially the skinny black cat now named Elvis. Elvis is very chatty, and hopefully enjoys Yemeni cuisine as much as the humans do.

No comments: