Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fun with "Aisha"

I had another visitor this weekend and the time was jam packed. But since I have already visited all the below sites, many of them three or four times already, I will not re-enter details. Instead, I will give a condensed version in the style of an illustrated children's book: "Fun With fill in the blank."

In three days, we visited: the pyramids, the Khan el Khalili bazaar, the citadel (in which are the Muhamed Ali mosque, Military Museum and Police Museum), the mosque of Ibn Tulun, Gayer-Anderson museum, Egyptian museum, Coptic Cairo (in which is, of course, the Coptic Museum, synagog, and many a church) and various stores and restaurants. We also too a boat ride on the Nile and did very little homework.

On the cab ride home from the Khan el Khalili, The Roommate entertained herself and the cab driver by introducing herself as "Fatima." He was impressed with this name. I then said my name was "Khadija" in turn, and that my visitor was named "Aisha."

Fun with fake names!

And below, thanks to the Military Museum at the Citadel, I present: Fun with English!

Behold, "Casteles and Fortresses Hall"! And the plaque below this painting says that Jimmy Carter was signing a document in the rose garden at the "Light House."


This gentleman's jacket reads "Wash the line, " a new interpretation of Johnny Cash. And here were have a caption from the Police Museum, from an exhibit about "toxicating" drugs.



Fun with Antiquities! Why pose with only a smile when you can pinch and punch ancient monuments?





These are in the Military Museum again. Fun with bizarre presentation?



Fun with mosques: Ibn Tulun and Muhamed Ali mosque on the same day.


And fun with decorating: This light fixture from the military museum has soldiers patrolling its top, while the bowl from the Coptic Museum demonstrates wacky portraiture of the highest order.


I'm kind of tired of the "fun with. . ." theme already.

Here's some pictures from the boat ride. The weather has be warmer than it's been in months, and the sky clear. Lovely. And for those of you interested in that sort of thing (you know who you are) - rowers on the Nile!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've got me pegged. Thanks for the rowing pic!