Sunday, February 8, 2009

Signs and sets

These days, an eventful day involves leaving my desk. So today was uber-eventful: I went all the way to Zamalek!

While at Opera Plaza, I found a pile of old sets which my master investigatory skills tell me were for Aida.





These giant heads were next to the broken-down sets, but I can't figure what plot point they could possibly illustrate. If I could have, though, I would happily have taken the glasses-wearing one home with me to further consider the mystery.
The walk across the bridge from downtown to the island afforded some lovely views and ample opportunities to give my best bitch face in response to the various helpful comments offered me. "Very beautiful" and, of course, "Welcome to Egypt!"



The sculpture at the end of the bridge is of nationalist leader Sa'ad Zaghlul and is by one Mahmud Muhktar, about whom I am in the process of writing one hundred arduously researched pages.

Two signs in my new 'hood stood out. The Chines Nassage Center is somewhere nearby, although I found only signs, no actual location.



This sign won't be directing any lost foreigners to Road 281 any time soon, but I appreciate the effort.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha i love the bitch face walking across the bridge... "ya 3assal!"

you should check it out at night, though, especially by the statue of Zaghlul- all male prostitutes & loud khaleeji in hummers.. bizarrre....