So it's not all bad. Pepsi, as everyone knows, is little better than caramelized yak urine, but I do rather miss Egyptian food.
Another difference: clothing. I have seen many Tunisian men walking the streets in shorts and even a few in sleeveless undershirts. It's not a big deal, really, but it would have been in Cairo. And when people speak a foreign language here, or pollinate their speech with words in other languages, they use French rather than English. This is very confusing for those of us who have wasted years learning Arabic without ever studying French.
The best difference was the reception at the airport, although this has less to do with the country than with what an important individual I have become. The US embassy sent me two whole gentleman to ease my arrival, one to help me through customs and another to drive me to my hotel, an excellent perk of having a fancy-pants scholarship to study Arabic here. I didn't really need help through customs; there is not even a visa required for Americans to visit Tunisia, but it's always reassuring to see my name displayed on a waiting man's sign after a long long trip.
Once again, I compare with Cairo experiences. Remember how nightmare landlady wouldn't even let a Sudanese man into her property to clean it? This landlady has rented at least two apartments to Africans! They speak French, however, so I haven't gotten beyond "hello."
My street, on the corner of which is the above Coca Cola-themed cafe, is in a district called Lafayette. I was told that this is a Jewish area, and some evidence for this is the presence of a synagogue right near my school. However, I have only ever seen the synagogue all chained up and that intel came from a Tunisian man who decided to talk to me on the street.
My street is called Iran, and it is near the corner of India Street. All the streets nearby have country names; Egypt and United States Street are both lined by palm trees and are equally lovely.
1 comment:
I showed the blog to Kareem. He liked it, but requested more pictures of Tunis.
Post a Comment