Here I am with the calligraphy teacher and our end-of-the-summer show:
The fact that this particular prison was hometown adjacent allowed me to enjoy several furloughs and a few prison breaks. There were life changing ceremonies (weddings, birthdays) I had to attend (the lives changed may or may not have been my own), and also sporting events!First I celebrated the marriage of my previous Guest Photographer, and since she had not hired a photographer I was able to seize the tables and then turn them, taking more photographs in one day than I have ever done before (but not more than GP, who, if I remember correctly, took about 500 photos a day while she was visiting me in Egypt). And since I was a bride's maid (I do not know how to say "bride's maid" in Arabic. The closest alternative I could come up with is "friend of the bride," which has far less impact. But I know how to say "wedding," so this parenthetical is not a complete loss), I was able to wear an elaborate and expensive dress. . . once I managed to get it on. Since I remain unable to don said dress without several assistants and at least half and hour of whining, I may have to wait until my own wedding to look that good again.
On my furlong I discovered an uncanny ability to look goofy in photographs. Aided in part by my new passion for posing (heart pose is my first love, and I also respect the salute and find tranquility in the peace sign), I attended a birthday cocktail shindig and then Mary Poppins party where I expressed my support for women's suffrage and also for scones.
Finally, in a bow to corporate sponsorship, I hosted today a soy-themed tea party for which guests were encouraged to dress either as stereotypical 1950s housewives, or as their favorite vegetables. There were prizes involved (provided by my alluded-to-but-unnamed sponsor), and so the more whimsical guests came with multiple costume changes.
These first two guests took the third, secret costume option and decided merely to look beautiful. Cheaters.
Those of us in costume did our best to incorporate elaborate headgear.
Also provided: vegan and normal tea sandwiches. By normal, of course, I mean vegetarian. This party was in Berkeley, after all.
And as a party favor I attempted to foist my work from calligraphy club on my hapless guests; I had (and still have) quite a voluminous pile of pieces. As it turns out, I am pretty good at Arabic and good at calligraphy but really excellent at procrastination.
No comments:
Post a Comment