Denial . . . Not Just a State of Mind in Egypt
I leave Cairo the day after tomorrow, but I finished with all school requirements last Wednesday. As a result, my last week here has consisted of eating, napping and saying goodbye to people. Two of those activities have been great fun. Otherwise, I have been floating around in a state of denial about my impending departure. People ask me various valid questions, such as: What are you going to do with your life? and: Will you visit? and: Good lord, isn't it hot outside? but the only question I can answer is that last one.
Yes, it is VERY hot.
Perhaps I should just give that response to all questions.
Here I am walking out of the AUC gate to catch the bus for the last time. I had to go to three different offices to get papers proving I have paid my dues and passed my classes, then run across the campus three or four times to retrieve and drop of copies of my thesis (PS, my thesis is finished and I have a Master's. Yes, it is VERY hot outside). The photo is not meant to look like an ad for Al-Umda food products - I didn't realize that I was clutching my cauliflower sandwich in such an obvious manner when my friend snapped the photo.
Cauliflower sandwiches are delightful, but that was not the end of the day's culinary tour. After walking all over tarnation (by tarnation I mean, of course, downtown Cairo) purchasing various essentials like a dictionary and movie posters, I had dinner with my former Arabic tutor. She insisted on standing while I sat so that she could be taller than me for once:
A few days later, Number 2 had a barbeque at her mansion. The vegetarians were well represented that day, and the grill sizzled up some lovely veggie burgers and vegetable skewers along with the requisite beef and cheese.
Team photo (our uniforms are at the cleaners):
No comments:
Post a Comment