Not that globalization is all bad. It comes in handy, as when my father was separated from my mother and I after an epic hike in Petra.
We climbed the endless hill to reach what the guidebooks call the Monestary, carved, as are all of Petra's remaining buildings, into the sandstone. After endless steps and battling goats and donkeys, my father went off to a viewpoint while my mother and I melted into the blessedly cushioned seats and listened to the Bedouins play music and sing.
The Bedouins cultivate an interesting look for which they wear their hair long and ringlety, grow black goatees and wear what looks like smokey eyeliner. They resemble pirates more than anything else. This detail does not impact my story, but I find it entertaining nonetheless.
So my mother was very upset when my father didn't return from the viewpoint promptly, worried that we wouldn't make it out of Petra before dark. I went to look for him, but to no avail. Finally, one bedouin gentleman piped in. He asked for a description of my father, then pulled a cell phone from his pocket and called up his buddy at the viewpoint. "Hey, Jim," he said.
PETRA:
Goats roam all over the paths, raising quite a ruckus.
Tombs on the hill are accessable by steps, but not as many steps as the so-called monestary.
The path to the monestary is steep and long.
From a viewpoint near the monestary you can see Israel, if you know where to look.
Animals all over: a kitten in the souveneer stand, horses and camels and donkeys, and of course the stone elephant (cutest of all).
AMMAN:
According to my guidebook, Amman was originally built on seven hills, just like Rome. There was a time when I could recite the seven hills of Rome, but I wil not attempt this feat with the captial of Jordan, especially since it has now expanded to include 19 hills. The city continues to expand, Southern California style, with suburb upon suburb reachable only by bus or car.
The citadel is very nice, as are the giant balloons for sale in the market:
Some people say that Jordan's population is either half or a majority Palestinian. There are also some 100,000 Iraqi refugees living there (again, according to the guidebook) and 250,000 Egyptian laborers (according to our guide). Every waiter I encountered who revealed a provenance was Egyptian.
Do you think Palestine Juice tastes different than other juices?
DEAD SEA:
We stayed at a fancy pants resort on the Dead Sea, at which I floated in the water for the allotted time, played about with the skin-friendly mud, and then had a facial in the even fancier pants spa.
No comments:
Post a Comment