Friday, January 11, 2008

Guest Photographer

I have a guest! Because we're leaving for my class's cruise tomorrow morning (5.30 am flight = evil) the Guest Photographer had only one full day in Cairo to see absolutely everything. She arrived this morning at 3.30 am, we're leaving for the airport at 3.30 tomorrow morning and we are very tired.

But the pictures are nice!

Can you guess where this is?





This is in the hanging church in Coptic Cairo where we also visited the Coptic Museum, Egypt's oldest synagogue, two other churches and a cafe where there was a very cute kittie skulking about.




Then we went in Cheaty McCheaterston's cab over to the Ibn Tulun Mosque but were unable to climb the minaret on account of its being locked. We found solace in the goofy booties.


This is the Gayer Anderson Museum, alleged filming site of Bond flick "The Spy Who Loved Me." Maybe if I'd seen that film (or had ever heard of it) I would be more impressed.


On the way to the Khan al Khalili we encountered a large mass of people singing, dancing, banging drums and generally raising a ruckus on the street. Perhaps it has something to do with Islamic New Year?


In the Khan al Khalili, we visited the fancy pants cafe and had fancy pants babaganough which was not quite as good as the babaganough at the Coptic Cairo cafe (they spelled their name "cafee" for some reason).


Here are two shots around the Khan, one of the teeming crowds within and one of a sweet potato vendor without.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You certainly crammed a lot into one day! It's also interesting that you hit many of the spots with your guest that I insisted upon when I was your guest--like the mosque and museum next door.
Will you have your laptop and be able to make posts on your cruise?