Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Pyramids Again

My parents arrived this morning after a grueling 26 hours traveling. I had to await them in the fancy pants hotel for many an hour, but compared to their experience I shouldn't whine. They had to sit on airplanes (upgraded, but still). I got a facial, watched two movies, and fell asleep.

One movie was the Britney Spears masterpiece, "Crossroads." Oh, memories of a better time.

The hotel room has a view of the pyramids. There is also a view of them from the pool, although I have not swum in it. It was all pyramids all the time today, since the activity of the day was visiting them. Again. Yes, they are still very large and rocky and pointed.

We hired a driver for the hotel, and he was more interesting than the pyramids (to this jaded second-timer, anyway). He was Iraqi, but fled Baghdad in 1990, at which point he did some sort of something that rescued marines and was, as a result, awarded a medal by President GHW Bush. Or so he said. He also claimed to have worked in Washington for years, and to have worked for various embassies in Jordan and the US and what not. Quite fascinating stories, even if they weren't 100% factual.

My father was disappointed to not be allowed to climb a pyramid. This, it turns out, was his main goal in visiting the site and he was bored by the actual central activity: picture taking. He did climb a mini-pyramid, but I suppose it was not the same experience.

So: here are pictures of the event. It was a lovely day, and the pyramids are certainly more pleasant in the winter than in the blazing heat under which I first visited.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Are you going to be upset when you have to go to the pyramids AGAIN in January and become a third-timer??

EGyptiaN GHOST هنا مدونة الشبح المصرى said...

Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog & HAPPY A NEW YEAR

EGyptiaN GHOST هنا مدونة الشبح المصرى said...

Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog & HAPPY A NEW YEAR