Friday, August 24, 2007

How to Overcome Jet Lag

My brilliant friend Nikki wrote a (can I repeat the adjective again here without sounding like a goofster?) (or is extended parenthetical communication worse?) (but I love parentheses! And footnotes!) page on Mahalo (don't know what that is? Check it out, then, its, well, brilliant) about how to overcome jet lag. I wish I had seen this sooner! She wrote it before my trip, but, lazy correspondent (and busy busy bee, pre-trip) that I am, I hadn't read her blog until now. However, this information can be put to good use by all those who intend to visit me. See how conveniently this works out?

The jet lag hasn't been that bad for me, however. I wake up at normal-ish times, feel a bit tired when I sit still, but am otherwise alright. There are so many exciting thing to see here, and a wide range of new foods to sample (next on my agenda: fresh juice from one of the many juice stands and street-side corn on the cob) that it's hard to feel tired when outside, although the heat tries its darnedest to sap my life force. Or is it possible that a ten hour difference, going East, isn't as hard as other changes? I could probably get the answer to that from the affore-linked information, but I'm feeling lazy again.

Today (Friday), is the weekend here - The class/work week starts Sunday (although, to confound things further, my Survival Arabic class starts tonight). This means that the AUC bookstore will be closed (still!) and I will (still!) be pathetically mapless. I'm sure there are other places to get maps around, such as in tourist centers, but how can I find them without a map?

Actually, I know where one is: the Egyptian Museum. It's mere inches from the AUC main campus. Well, thousands of inches, but still. I'm not in a rush to go there, however. Why go look at ancient artifacts made by dead people when there are real-live people making street food and kissy noises all over the modern city?


2 comments:

rednikki said...

Yay! I'm really glad you liked the page. If you pick up an animal over there, I wrote a page on "How to Fly With Pets", too! :-)

Ruth said...

I don't think I'll be very pet oriented, although there are mangy cats all over the place for the taking. At this point I'm still trying to figure out how to take care of myself!